Saturday, August 12, 2017

Kombucha: The Super Drink

By now, you have more than likely seen or heard of Kombucha. I haven't been in a "convenience" store in a long time so I don't know if they sell it, but you can go to any other grocery or drug store and find at least several flavors of Kombucha (Walmart and Target carry it). After discovering Kombucha online back in the spring of 2013 due to looking for a natural way to fix my severely messed up digestive system (which I had since at least college, maybe longer), I was pleasantly surprised the following summer when I saw several flavors of GT's Kombucha in our local Publix grocery store. They were on special, 2 for $5, so I bought Gingerberry and Lavender #3 (now known as Lavender Love and it is definitely LOVE). Should I mention how surprised I was at how delicious it was? And to know that it is a drink that enables the body to heal itself? I'm in!

"What is Kombucha?" you may be asking. In short, it is a fermented beverage consisting of black tea and sugar. This "Immortal Health Elixir" has been around for over 2,000 years, originating in the Far East by the Chinese (there are MANY sites you can check this on, but I am a huge HUGE fan of Dr. Josh Axe, so you will see me citing him a lot). It is great for your heart, your brain, and especially your gut (great news!). It is very high in probiotics, vinegar (how strong the vinegar taste is depends on the length of the first ferment; the longer it is left to ferment, the more vinegary it will be), B vitamins, enzymes, and a high concentration of acid (acetic, gluconic and lactic). Just like lemon, vinegar and other foods that are highly acidic, it has the effect of alkalizing when consumed. 

There are TONS of blogs and websites that share all the health information and how-to-make. If you haven't read any yet, here is a summary of why you should be drinking it every day:

  1. It strengthens the immune system (naturally high in antioxidants).
  2. Helps with weight loss (acetic acid and polyphenols).
  3. Eases joint pain & helps prevent arthritis (contains glucosamines).
  4. Detoxifying (gluconic acid and probiotics)
  5. Boosts energy (enzymes and B vitamins)
  6. Helps the digestive system (probiotics)
  7. Cancer fighter (glucaric acid)



I just bottled my 4th batch which is now on its second ferment (F2) for 1-3 days to get a really nice fizz. I call this Blackberry Zinger. It is basically Jordan's Blueberry Ginger recipe from Fit Happy Free. Any berry would most certainly work. Next week, I plan on making Peach Kombucha, courtesy of Kombucha Home. As you can see, I am finally able to start a Kombucha "Hotel"! 





Cultures For Health is a GREAT place to start. I've been using a 3 quart jar so I've had to find the right ratio, but even that is easy enough for a 5th grader could do. Here is some of what I've made thus far:


L-R: Blackberry Ginger, Pineapple Ginger, Original (plain) with some left for SCOBY.


My first batch was half ginger and half was Blueberry Ginger (or, as GT's puts it, Gingerberry). My second batch was Mango Ginger. It was good, but thanks to adding too much water to the brew, it turned out tasting like mango flavored Perrier! The photo above was from last week and is almost gone. My middle sister has tasted the Kombucha that I have bought (GT's) and she was not a fan, but the homemade you can get just right so it's not such a strong vinegary taste and is absolutely perfect. Then she tried what I have made. It's. A. HIT! My least favorite, the Mango Ginger, was her favorite. Then again, she really likes sparkling water and drinks it regularly. She has liked all of them thus far, though! 

Once you start making your own, you'll wonder why you ever paid so much. I'll tell you why: first, they ARE good and great for you (unlike soda filled with cancer causing chemicals), second, you'll learn which ones you like best and want to copy at home, and third, BOTTLES! You can buy bottles from Amazon such as these clear flip cap bottles, these amber flip cap bottles, or these stainless steel cap bottles. But you can't beat having bottles from saving them after consuming one of the healthiest and most delicious beverages on the market!

So what are you waiting on? Get your Kombucha on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment